Importing KMLs into Arkit from Surfer
Arkit accepts EM survey information in the form of KML files. These files need to be exported in a specific way in order to function within the Arkit platform.
- Surfer must be above Version 11
- KML files are text based and cannot contain any bitmap images.
- Generate a contour using Surfer.
- We suggest that you adjust the opacity of the contour so that it appears slightly transparent to allow for a better overlay in Arkit.
- The contour in Surfer must be geo-referenced before exporting it as a KML. In the example, the raw data of the X and Y Axis had been collected in UTM, therefore, we set the overall 'Map' object and the 'Contour' object in UTM/WGS84.
Please be aware of how your X and Y axis data was collected. In our example, the X and Y is in UTM so when we geo-reference, we pick WGS84. If the X and Y axis were collected in Lat and Long, then you need to pick the right projection to reflect what was collected.
The file may then be uploaded to arkit from the drawing options within a project.
If the KML is not appearing at the correct co-ordinates it may be useful to upload the KML to Google Earth to test if the geo-referencing is right. If it is not, then it is likely that the setting on the geo-reference is in the wrong location. When setting the UTM/WGS84 make sure you specify the UTM zone correctly.
For any further help with KML files please contact email@example.com.